Human resource management for beginners
This practical event provides an introduction to the fundamentals of employing people. The course maps the employment relationship from recruitment, issuing contracts, managing holidays, dealing with absence, discipline and grievance matters through to ending the employment relationship.
A helpful tool kit of sample policies and letters is provided to delegates for use back in their workplace.
You've been successful in running the business so far, but maybe now you need help hiring and managing people. Or perhaps your boss has given you the job of dealing with all things HR in your company, you are new to it and don't know where to start.
To help, we have packed together the essentials of HR and employment relations into a convenient training session which distils a lot of what you need to know into a one day event.
HR for Beginners has been designed specifically to meet your needs and is in response to requests from our customers.
This course assumes no prior learning and is very much focussed on the key building blocks needed for the HR function. Discussions based around practical case studies will be a central element of the course content.
There will be informal discussion opportunities and practical exercises throughout the day to encourage active delegate participation.
All delegates will receive an electronic certificate of attendance for their participation in the training.
- Small businesses and those new to HR
- Business start-ups
- Those taking on their first employees
- Expanding businesses
- Newly appointed front-line managers and supervisors
- Employee representatives
This event will cover:
- Types of discrimination and the areas which are covered by discrimination law
- How to draft a job description and a person specification
- How to prepare, structure and run effective interviews
- How to assess evidence and make decisions
Contracts of employment
- How to put the main terms and conditions in writing
- Rules on pay, hours of work and holidays
- How to make changes to terms and conditions
- Dealing effectively with problems areas by following the Acas code of practice on discipline and grievance
- Taking informal action, holding formal disciplinary meetings and dealing with employee grievances
- How to deal fairly and effectively with unauthorised absence, short term illness and long term sickness through an absence policy
Ending the employment relationship
- When is a dismissal fair and when might it be unfair?
- Different ways to end a contract and rules on notice and notice pay
A toolkit of sample policy documents and letters around the main basic requirements is provided to allow for easy implementation back in the workplace.
Have a large group of staff to train?
To save you time and money, we can deliver bespoke training at your workplace. To find out more contact our Customer Services Team on 0300 123 1150 or complete our online enquiry form
We also offer free e-learning on a wide range of employment relations topics. It's a great way to develop, enhance and refresh your knowledge, providing you with the opportunity to work through theory, explore case studies and answer interactive questions.
Need more than training?
We recognise that every organisation is different. Our specialists can diagnose issues in your workplace and tailor practical solutions to address the challenges faced by you and your staff. To arrange a call or visit or to simply find out more, contact our Customer Services Team on 0300 123 1150 or complete our online enquiry form
For details visit www.acas.org.uk/gpsterms